If you are suffering from tension pain and need instant and long-term stress relief, try the following Qigong Relaxation Technique.
- For our purpose, you can sit or stand for this exercise. If you are standing, you need to know how to do the Standing Qigong properly. Feet should be shoulder width apart, pointing forward, shoulders and face relaxed, spine straight. Please read about proper stance in Foundation of internal martial arts and posts below.
- You need to know how to "relax" into the stance. If you are a beginning student or new to qigong relaxation techniques, it would be easier to sit.
- If you are sitting, do not lean or slouch, but neither should you keep your spine ramrod rigid. The idea is to keep your back straight without being stiff.
- Inhale using qigong breathing described below. As you inhale, bring your shoulders up, tensing as much as possible. This is important if you are to know true relaxation.
- Next, pause in your breathing before exhaling. As you release your breath slowly, begin to lower your shoulders again until they are totally relaxed.
- Pause in your breathing, then inhale and begin the cycle again.
- Practice this exercise for a total of eight breaths: inhale and tense the shoulders, pause, exhale and relax the shoulders, pause.
The following exercises will also help to heal the body and relieve stress:
Rapid Relaxation Tips
Qigong to heal Your Liver
Quickly Release Stress and Heal using Qi
Ever notice when people experience stress, the first thing they tense are the jaws? The second thing? Their shoulders. Learn to relax these two and the rest of your body will relax almost automatically.